The Law Office of Jennifer Ryan
I act for clients in Toronto and across Ontario in various family matters, with an emphasis on preventative law and resolving emotional disputes. I believe in access to legal services for all, and am a member of the Family and Domestic Violence panels at Legal Aid Ontario.
I have a particular interest in providing counsel to lower-income parties (including those from the arts community), and work to ensure that these groups have access to a family lawyer for life events that require legal representation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
I hold a degree in Sociology from McGill University, and received my LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2008. I was called to the Ontario Bar in 2009.
I also hold a Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution from the Dispute Resolution Clinic at the University of Western Ontario and a Diploma in Recorded Music Production from Trebas Institute.
Previous careers include eight years as a researcher and interviewer at one of Canada’s premier research and strategic planning firms; clients there included legal institutions, universities, provincial and federal government (notably health, financial, arts and education), arts organizations and major Canadian corporations.
I also spent two decades as a jazz vocalist. During that time, I headlined major international jazz festivals, worked as a studio vocalist, clinician agent and tour manager, composed my own music and film theme songs for major studio productions and independent releases, and negotiated distribution and licensing agreements.
I am also licenced to perform marriages in the State of New York.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
- Panelist/lecturer, "Clean Up on Your Child Support Claims", North Toronto Family Court Education Committee (continuing legal training for lawyers), 2020
- Panelist/lecturer, "Understanding Domestic Violence", 311 Open Court Series (continuing legal training for lawyers), 2015
- “The Fundamentals of Family Law,” “Canadian Legal History”, lectures at Multilingual Community Interpreter Services and the South Asian Women’s Centre, 2014
- “When Sorry is Not Enough,” co-author, Horse Sport Magazine, March 2009.
- “Best Practices during a Credit Crunch,” author, National Credit News, March 2009.
- “Opposing a Discharge from Bankruptcy on the Basis of Debtor Fraud,” co-author, National Credit News, November 2008.
- “Structuring your Horse Business,” lecture at The Jockey Club at Woodbine, November 2008.
PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS
- The Law Society of Ontario
- Family Lawyers Association of Ontario - board member-at-large (2011-2013)
- Legal Aid Ontario - Family Law and Domestic Violence panels